Although only a third preferred collection in plastic bags, the CDA opted to introduce an initial trial period by distributing free bags. This proved effective and has continued.

To overcome the high loading problems of the box trailer a low-loading trailer was designed. The new design had the advantages of reducing the loading height to 1.45m and increasing carrying capacity by 30% to 4.0 m3. The trailer (2m wide by 3m long) is pulled by a tractor and can be easily manoeuvred in narrow streets. A tractor driven hydraulic system allows rear end tipping for discharging waste. The wheels specified are suitable for maximum axle loads of up to 3.75 tons or, allowing for weight transfer and body weight, typical pay loads of around 4 tons. This will allow for waste densities of up to 900 kg/m3 although normal waste densities are less than 500 kg/m3. The ?prototype? was made in Cairo and a second trailer was fabricated in a local Dakahleya engineering workshop for LE6,500. The new trailer proved successful and the design is being replicated by the Governorate in other villages.

Overall, a tractor with front loading bucket for scooping up accumulated waste and two low loading trailers were provided to the CDA.


Tractors with front loading bucket

In introducing the service, the CDA initially contracted a private company to operate the equipment, collect fees and pay rent to the CDA. The rent was used to purchase plastic bags and trees for planting. However, management and administrative issues, coupled with the initial poor collection service, necessitated the CDA to run the service themselves.

HOW DOES THE SYSTEM OPERATE?

The service is operated by the CDA. Workers were recruited and trained to use the equipment. The new service includes street sweeping and door-to-door waste collection from subscribers. There are 15 staff including 7 waste collectors, 3 street sweepers, one foreman for the workers, one tractor driver, a fee collector, a plastic bag distributor and a general supervisor. Working hours are 8.00?3.00pm, with daily waste collection in the main streets and every second day elsewhere. Trailer loading

 time has been around 3 hours and 2 loads are collected per shift.


Accumulation of waste prior to project implementation

A monthly fee of LE2 per household and LE3 per shop was introduced for the waste collection service. Fees are collected door-to-door by the CDA fee collector who places a sticker on the door of those houses that have paid. For the first 6 months, households and shops were provided plastic bags free of charge, and thereafter an additional LE0.5 monthly fee was charged. Labour, fuel and maintenance costs are borne by the CDA.

At present 80% of households and shops are paying the monthly fee.

COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION

Raising the community?s awareness of the service and the need to improve waste management was an essential component of the project. This process started with the distribution of leaflets during the first social survey. Subsequently leaflets were distributed door-to-door, in the streets and after the Friday prayers at the mosques. A number of community awareness meetings were held at the CDA.

The CDA established an Environmental Committee and street representatives were appointed to monitor the waste collection service. The committee meets weekly with representatives from all streets after Friday prayers.

A clean-up was also organised by the CDA in co-operation with the residents to remove accumulated waste.

Beautification efforts started three months into the project with a tree planting programme. Each household wishing to have a tree was asked to pay 40% of the cost (LE3 out of the LE7 total).

To date, 49% of residents have participated in the tree planting organised by the CDA. Of the remaining 51%, the main reasons for not participating were:

  • 26% lacked adequate space.
  • 18% were unaware of the scheme.
  • 12% felt children playing in the street would damage the trees.

  • 14% did not have the money.

PREVIOUS   NEXT